Sunday, January 7, 2007

In Which We Learn to Knit: Revisiting the Past, Part I

Before I decided to start a blog, I posted a few things on a knitting message board that introduced myself, explained how I got started, etc. In the interest of posterity, I am recreating those posts, here. Entries may have been edited a bit for clarity.

Original post date: October 12, 2006


I started knitting in August, on a whim, when I was visiting Grandma in Michigan. Grandma's 89, and an amazing seamstress ... so when I mentioned that I wanted to knit, she offered to teach me. She has arthritis and can't really knit anymore, so I'm glad I got her when I did! Of course, Grandma learned to knit so many years ago that she forgot what it was like to be a beginner, and wasn't sure why my 20-stitch cast-on quickly grew to 44 stitches. And I was using aluminum needles with Red Heart acrylic wool in a lovely shade of beige. Not the most conducive for knitting.

So back home, I quickly scoped out several of the local yarn stores, got some instruction (questionable, but that's another story) and have been happily knitting along ever since.

Finished objects: 1 scarf (Noro Kureyon, garter stitch, kid sized)
1 hat (first time on circs and double points)
1 hat (seamed up the back, icky chenille yarn, didn't fit and so was thrown away).

On the needles: Irish Hiking Scarf
Vertical striped garter stitch scarf for my youngest DD
2 socks on 1 circ (magic loop) - about 1" of each cuff done, put away until after the New Year
"Fuzzy Greenie" -- Instant Jacket pattern for a class I'm taking (my first sweater ever).

In the queue: Scarf for future SIL from elsebeth lavold Chunky AL
Scarf for my brother in Classic Elite Blithe
Branching out
FT Felted clogs for one of my DDs.

Note, 1/7/07: The 2 socks on 1 circ are still in hibernation, and will be frogged because I was doing them on #3s and won't like them; All of the items listed "in the queue" did not happen.