Sunday, December 17, 2006

Can't resist a sale ...

I had a little shopping spree today. I know, not the best thing to do a week before Christmas, but I just couldn't pass up the sale. Sakonnet Purls is having a pre-2008 sale, and everything in the store was at least 20% off.

The reason for the sale is interesting in itself ... Rhode Island recently passed legislation that would impose 6% sales tax on yarn and fabric. Until this point, both had been considered tax exempt. What this means for yarn sales in the state remains to be seen, but when neighboring states do not charge sales tax on these items, it might hurt business. Rhode Island is small enough that people can get to a neighboring state in less than 1/2 hour.

So here's what I bought:



7 skeins of Malabrigio to make the Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts. 2 skeins of Malabrigio for a scarf and hat for myself. 2 sets of Lantern Moon rosewood needles (sizes 7 and 8). The book Hats On by Charlene Schurch (best hat book for all ages that I've found so far). And the best ... the one thing that kept pulling me back to fondle:


100% silk laceweight from Claudia Handpaint, in the Walk in the Woods colorway. This will be a shawl for myself, to wear at my brother's wedding. At least, that's the plan. I need to find the right pattern to do this yarn justice. It's amazing. And it was 20% off. Would you have been able to resist??