Thursday, December 14, 2006

I think I'll make it ...


This is the 3rd or 4th project that I've started for my mom, but I think I finally have settled. This is a 2-cable scarf pattern that I got free when I bought Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran at Nancy O Boutique in Ridgefield, CT, a yarn store that I visited in my many travels.

The scarf on display in the shop was made of cashmere, and at the time I had only been knitting for a few weeks -- certainly not long enough to justify a cashmere purchase. So the lovely woman in the shop recommended the Cashmerino Aran, which felt like a dream.

Well, I swatched it up on Monday night, and I just didn't care for it at all. It might have been OK if I had gone down a couple of needle sizes, but I was knitting at Borders with my friend and didn't have other needles with me. And the yarn wasn't nearly as soft knitted up as in the ball.

So I did what any good knitter would do -- I went to the yarn store in search of more yarn. And I found the yarn that I had been reading about for months -- Malabrigo. It felt wonderful, and at $10.50 for over 200 yards, I thought it was a deal. I bought two hanks, and I adore it.

The pattern is great -- I put the printed pattern away after the first 6-row repeat. Because it's narrow, it seems to be working up pretty quickly. I hope to finish it by Sunday night.

As for stocking #1, the duplicate-stitch snowflake is complete, and the foot is seamed -- I just need to finish seaming and add the hanging loop.