Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I love to plan, but will I stick to those plans?

I've been in a whirlwind of knitting lately, though very little knitting itself is actually getting done. Instead, I'm scheming and plotting my list of vacation knitting projects.

We (the family and I) are heading out on a 6-week long roadtrip next week. We are driving from Massachuetts to California and back. Since Studley Knit-Right does most of the driving, this means many potential knitting hours for me.

Reality, of course, says that I cannot take my entire yarn stash with me, so that I can cast on at a whim. I need to plan ahead. Reality also dictates that I pay some attention to the family while en route. So the goal this week is to get a number of projects together: yarn, needles, photocopy or printout of the pattern, each in a self-contained project bag.

Choosing projects has not been easy. There are specific criteria, as follows:

  • I must first finish Grandma's Waving Lace Socks,and my Yarntini striped socks.
  • Projects for car knitting must be able to be put down at a moment's notice, to break up a fracas in the back seat, or take advantage of a bathroom break.
  • It will likely be very hot where we are going, so materials need to be considered.
  • Projects for hotel knitting can be slightly more complicated, but must still be knittable on a hotel room bed, in a room with 2 small children, a husband, and probably a television.
  • I will be at my Grandma's house for about a week, with very little to do but knit, so I can choose a larger project for there. But I still need to be able to converse while knitting.
Here's what I have so far:
I realize that I'm most likely overestimating my ability to get things done. And yet I still feel that there's something missing from this list; that I'll want something more. Something different, that's not socks. But I don't know what that is.

I also realize what a sheep I am .. most of the patterns on this list are the most popular patterns in the knittingverse. And Nine to Five socks are well on their way to exploding in popularity. Oh well. I never said I was original.

If you have any suggestions for other projects, please let me know. I've got lots of yarn to wind.