Monday, November 20, 2006

Traveling Companions

I had to work on Sunday, and now have to get ready for Thanksgiving, so I see precious little knitting time in my future. Aside from my 2-hour knitting class tonight, where I hope to finish up the first of Bean's mittens, I'm not sure how much time I'll have with my needles until Thursday night.

I just discovered that I will soon be doing much more traveling for my job. Traveling, in my world, does not mean jetting off to exotic locations -- rather, it means long hours in the car, fast food meals between appointments, and too much coffee. Except that now, since I have started knitting, it also means more time for knitting podcasts!

I first discovered knitting podcasts about a month ago, and have been spending many lovely hours catching up. I'm slightly obsessive about listening to them in order, from the beginning (or at least as far back as I can find episodes). It does mean that I drive in something of a time-warp. One moment, I am experiencing the burgeoning springtime in Wales with Brenda Dayne of Cast-On, then it's summer in Boston with It's A Purl Man -- all the while it's a cold and gray November outside my window.

I'm a bit apprehensive about being totally caught up, though. I'm not sure that there are enough knitting podcast hours to sustain me in my travels. Already I am feeling a void, as I am current with Lime 'N' Violet and Knitty D and the City (say what you like, I don't really find that many similarities between them, and enjoy them both). I'm nearing the end of the backlog for Pixie Purls and Pointy Sticks. I have hope, though -- I just listened to the first installment of Sticks and String, which was a treat, and I would like to think that more new knitting podcasts are in the works.