Sunday, November 26, 2006

Knitzophrenia

I believe that I suffer from Knitzophrenia. I know that many (most?) knitters have the inability to complete one project before starting another. But my symptoms are more severe. My Knitzophrenia involves knitting for others, especially at this time of year. It is starting a gift, making a good amount of progress, and then changing my mind and beginning to knit something else entirely for that person.

This has happened to me three times this season. Seeing that it's my first Christmas as a knitter, it has me rather alarmed.

I began a lovely Brioche neckwarmer for my brother from Classic Elite "Blithe" -- baby camel that was simply luxurious. I couldn't quite get the hang of the pattern -- so I changed to a basketweave. I completed more than half of it, and just really didn't care for it -- the fabric was too 'flat'. So I switched to a Scrunchable Scarf made from cashmere. I have about 24" done -- and then on Tuesday I had a brainstorm: Christmas stockings. My brother is getting married in April, and I suddenly decided that he and his fiancee need Christmas stockings.

So now the neckwarmer is abandoned and a stocking is on the needles.

Of course, that also means abandoning the Irish Hiking scarf that I have on the needles for my future sister-in-law.

The Cape Cod Seashell Scarf that I am making for my mother (from Frog Tree alpaca) is taking way too long. It's my first lace project and I need full concentration to work on it. That's a rare thing in my life right now. So I'm giving it up, and will make her an Irish Hiking scarf from some lovely reclaimed cashmere that I bought at the LSS.

Of course I can't just finish the Irish Hiking scarf that I was making for my brother's fiancee and give that to my mother instead -- that would be far too easy. Mom needs cashmere.

And there you have it: Knitzophrenia. Will any project actually get completed in time for Christmas? Stay tuned....