Friday, April 20, 2007

An Ode to Cider Moon

It started with this:



One skein of Cider Moon's Istanbul colorway, purchased from Sheri at The Loopy Ewe.

After it arrived and I saw just how beautiful it was, I decided that I wanted to do solid colored cuffs, heels and toes on the socks that I am going to knit from this luscious yarn. I emailed the folks at Cider Moon, asking if they had any colorways that would work with the Istanbul yarn. Jacki was happy to give me two suggestions. Cider Moon had just updated their site, and I couldn't decide. And so, to my shopping cart, I added Raspberry Twist, and Victoria:



But of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone. By the time I checked out, my order looked like this:



You can just see the solids peeking out from the back of the pile. Sitting proudly in front are Giddy, Apple Crisp, and Fern Cliff. Apple Crisp is in their 'Flurry" line of yarns, while the others are all in 'Glacier." The Flurry line is a tighter twist, more reminiscent of yarns like Koigu. I wanted to try it, and just couldn't resist the colorway. Here, take a closer look -- it just glows:



My order was shipped immediately, and sped through the mail blindingly fast. When I opened the package, I oohed and aahed at the loveliness of the yarn. The package included a handwritten note from Gail, one of the owners. But whenI got to the bottom of the box, I gasped aloud. The folks at Cider Moon had decided to prey upon my weakness. They sent me this:


Adorable little sample bundles of yarn -- each identified by color name and yarn type on the invoice. (I'm not going to tell you which colors they are. Go see for yourself. I heard rumors that they were going to update the shop soon, including their new Blizzard line that uses Louet Gems as the base yarn.) I will tell you that the pink and black yarn in the back is called Jackie O., and Cider Moon donates 25% of the retail price to the Susan G. Komen For the Cure Foundation. So go buy some of that.

Oh, and my original reason for ordering -- yes, I found the perfect match.



What do you think? I hope that the solid color accents will highlight the gorgeousness of the variegated yarn. Unfortunately, I have a few projects ahead of these socks in the queue, but I can't wait to get them knitted up.